Search

Contributors

Subscribe

 RSS  |   Email Updates

9.22.2008

Air conditioning is awesome

Wikipedia tells me that people moved to Sacramento in large numbers because of Sutter's Fort and the discovery of gold. Since then, though, the most important amenity has clearly been the air conditioner.

Even light rail has it, and my apartment. My car, however, does not.

As a former Bay Area resident/out of state college student in Montana (where winter seems to last at least 8 months), this was never a problem before. As a resident of Sacramento for almost a month now, it's kind of irritating.

I'm pretty sure that a few years ago as a high school student, I actually said that driving a car with no air conditioning would be fine since "it's not like I live in Sacramento or anything." Who knew, right? Now I live in what I've thought for most of my life was basically the state's huge oven/furnace valley.

Luckily the warmest part of the year seems to be over. But still - warm weather is lame. Fresh air is way overrated.

Enter the Portable Air Conditioner. The stuff of dreams? No, apparently people actually sell these. Suggested uses include camping and picnics, as well as more practical ones like during hurricanes.

But seriously, throwing a picnic cloth across some grass and then blasting the battery powered air conditioner? What kind of a picnic is that?

0 comments: